Oberbank's Investment Portfolio
Oberbank only makes long-term investments in other companies if these investments serve to safeguard the survival of headquarters and locations of local enterprises or help enable the Bank to live up to its role of principal local banker, or if the activities of a potential joint venture partner are complimentary to the Bank’s core banking business (e.g. real estate or investment fund companies).
A complete list of Oberbank’s investments is provided on pages 136 to 139 of our Annual Report 2014.
- The most important equity investments of Oberbank are stakes held in the sister banks BKS and BTV. Details
regarding the shareholder structure of the three banks and their key figures are provided on pages 158 to 159 of our Annual Report 2014.
Oberbank also holds stakes in other companies with which the Bank closely cooperates in day-to-day business, among them
Bausparkasse Wüstenrot, Oesterreichische Kontrollbank AG or CEESEG AG (the parent company of Wiener Börse AG).
- As a strategic partner, Oberbank holds, among others, an equity interest in the steelmaker voestalpine AG (7.75%),
the Upper Austrian energy provider Energie AG (4.13%), the pulp, paper and textile manufacturer Lenzing AG (5.22%), the
spinning and weaving company LINZ TEXTIL HOLDING AKTIEN-GESELLSCHAFT (6.22%) and the lift operator Gasteiner Bergbahnen
In October 2014, Oberbank sold the major part of its equity interest in the aluminium products producer AMAG
(originally 5.01%) to B&C Industrieholding GmbH, thus reducing the Bank’s interest in the company to roughly
With the sale of the shares Oberbank contributed to securing a stable long-term decision-making and shareholder
structure for AMAG. In B&C, which now holds the majority of the capital, AMAG has a reliable majority shareholder
with a long-term focus. Oberbank remains connected with AMAG through a syndication agreement with B&C.
- The Oberbank Opportunity Fonds creates the basis for Oberbank to act as a private equity finance partner.
- In real estate business, Oberbank holds equity interests in companies set up for the construction or management of
Oberbank-owned real estate, as well as in selected residential developers that feature as potentially important
partners in residential construction finance issues.
- Oberbank’s leasing sub-group bundles the Bank’s Austrian and foreign leasing companies and also includes companies
established for the purpose of financing individual customer projects or Oberbank projects.
- Other investments include stakes in companies whose activities lie outside the core business of Oberbank and which
either provide bank-related services (DREI-BANKEN-EDV Gesellschaft and Einlagensicherung der Banken und Bankiers GmbH,
the deposit protection company of the Austrian commercial banks) or have specific regional significance in the
catchment area of Oberbank (various technology or business incubation centres).